NEW CLASSES BEGIN FALL 2019 IN NOVI, MICHIGAN
The Mission is Urgent.
The Moment is Now.
Responding to the Great Commission of Jesus to go out into the whole world and make disciples, the St. Paul Evangelization Institute is excited to announce our new initiative: The St. Paul School of Evangelization!
Every baptized Catholic has received a call to be a part of the New Evangelization. However, as Archbishop Allen Vigneron pointed out in his pastoral letter Unleash the Gospel, “Since evangelizing does not come naturally for most people, being effective evangelizers also usually requires the development of some practical skills.”
Our weekly School of Evangelization is designed to help ordinary Catholics become extraordinary evangelists in their own communities. Our new onsite school meets once a week in the evening and includes time for teaching, discussion, small groups, activities, prayer, and praise & worship. It also includes outings where we will evangelize together in different settings, and a final year-end project.
At the school we will:
- Equip and empower ordinary Catholics to live out their extraordinary call as missionary disciples.
- Use the best methods, insights, and strategies of effective evangelization.
- Teach students how to authentically proclaim the full Gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ.
- Help students discern supernatural charisms which the Lord performs through us as signs of the Kingdom.
- Foster student growth through a specialized ministry team that accompanies each participant every step of the way.
- Lead students to apply knowledge and gain confidence through small group learning, real world experience, and best practices!
Learn More About the School
Who We Are and What We Do
The St. Paul Evangelization Institute is home to several Catholic apostolates, most notably St. Paul Street Evangelization and our all-new St. Paul School of Evangelization. Our online school features a variety of video lessons led by Catholic teachers such as Dr. Mary Healy and Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers. It also includes dozens of downloadable resources for evangelization teams. Our street ministry is comprised of hundreds of teams of lay people who evangelize in the public square, building a bridge of trust to the local parish using prayer stations, door-to-door ministry, festival evangelization, and other methods.
Using a “hands-on approach,” our onsite school will help Catholics learn more about their faith and how to share it with others in a joyful, non-confrontational manner. Our method of teaching looks to the leadership model of Jesus. Jesus invited ordinary people into a close relationship with Him, to walk with Him, and to learn to model Him in holiness. Together the Lord’s students engaged in discussions, grew in prayer, studied the Scriptures, received supernatural gifts, were filled with the Holy Spirit, and were sent out into the whole world to make disciples. They proclaimed the Gospel with boldness through words of wisdom, with the testimony of their lives, and with great signs and wonders. All who repented and believed in the Gospel they invited into the Body of Christ, the Church. Those ordinary disciples changed the world.
This is more than history, this is our story. Ordinary disciples can change the world again. “Evangelizing is in fact the grace and vocation proper to the Church, her deepest identity. She exists in order to evangelize” (Pope St. Paul VI). As baptized Christians, we share in the identity and mission of the first disciples. The Church is calling us to the work of making disciples by becoming more like them.
We welcome you to the St. Paul School of Evangelization! We want to train, equip and mobilize you to live out your vocation. It is our firm belief that our God uses ordinary people to accomplish extraordinary things for the kingdom of God in the world. Together, we can faithfully and effectively witness to the love of God revealed in His Son, Jesus Christ.
About the School Curriculum
Year One – School of Evangelization
Year one emphasizes direct evangelization strategies, relational ministry, and personal growth as an evangelist. Our method of teaching is to learn together through small groups, mentorship, class discussion, and group evangelization outings. This cooperative approach helps each student to grow confident evangelizing in various circumstances (family, friends, strangers, in public, and in ministry). There is an evangelization field trip at the end of each quarter and the year culminates in a four-week offsite evangelization project.
Year one is broken down into four quarters:
- Quarter 1 – Basic Evangelization Training
- Quarter 2 – Healing in Evangelization Training
- Quarter 3 – The Proclamation of the Gospel
- Quarter 4 – Virtuous Leadership & Team Project Quarter
Certification: Upon successful completion of all classes and assignments, students receive their Certificate in Evangelization, approved by the institute’s Board of Directors.
Year Two – Leadership in Evangelization
Year two emphasizes growth as a leader in the new evangelization. Recognizing each student’s unique abilities and God-given charisms, we will mentor students to become “spiritual multipliers” who are able to rise up and mentor other disciples. The goal is for each student to discover how they are uniquely called to serve and transform their local church by building an authentic culture of evangelization. Year two cultimates in a student-led evangelization project. The four quarters of Year Two are:
- Quarter 1 – Spiritual Life Training
- Quarter 2 – Making Disciple-Making Disciples
- Quarter 3 – Spiritual Multiplication
- Quarter 4 – Leadership Project
Certification: Upon successful completion of all classes and assignments, students receive their Leadership in Evangelization Certificate.
Students will receive homework each week, including Bible reading, study questions which will be used for in class small groups, a prayer focus, and individual evangelization assignments. Homework should take most students around one hour per week.
Areas of Emphasis
- A priority on each student’s response to the kerygma and growth in holiness through prayer, worship, and the full sacramental life of the Church.
- Dynamic lessons, discussion groups, and small class sizes that honor each person’s gifts, talents, and contributions to the Body of Christ.
- A faithful study of theology and scripture which is spirituality directed to a deepened understanding of foundational principles, methods, and strategies for the New Evangelization.
- Expert instructors and guest speakers who participate in various evangelization initiatives and invite students to join them to gain real-world experience as evangelists.
- A ministry team that accompanies students on their spiritual journey, builds up their confidence with the course material, and helps them flourish in their unique callings.
- A learning curriculum informed by 5+ years of grassroots level ministry experience in forming effective, on-fire evangelists around the world.
- Inspiring stories from over 300 active chapters of street evangelists
Fall 2019 Class Details
Holy Family Catholic Church
24505 Meadowbrook Road
Novi, MI 48375
Classes begin on September 10, 2019.
Class times are 6:30 – 8:30 PM every Tuesday night. Given the nature of mentorship, ministry, and prayer, there may be times when we go past 8:30 PM. Students are always welcome to leave as they need to in order to return to their homes and families.
6:25 – 6:45 PM – Worship
6:45 – 6:50 PM – Opening Remarks
6:50 – 7:20 PM – Small Groups
7:20 – 8:00 PM – Teaching
8:00 – 8:30PM/Close – Discussions, Activities, Ministry, or Group Work
To register for the school please click on the application button below.
Students are given envelopes at the beginning of each quarter and are asked to prayerfully pay all or some of the suggested tuition. No student is turned away because of an inability to pay. Students will need to bring their own Catholic Bible to class (RSV is suggested).
Take the Next Step