What is an urban missionary?
Inspired by the mandate of Jesus and the call of the Church to proclaim the Good News, we urgently need effective and passionate missionaries laboring in our hometowns who will lead the work of the New Evangelization, galvanize the Catholic community, and teach and train ordinary people to do the extraordinary work of proclaiming the Gospel.
The Urban Missionary is responsible for spearheading the New Evangelization in his or her own community. Not content to sit on the sidelines, the Urban Missionary enthusiastically engages in street evangelization and works to inspire, train, and assist local Catholics in the spreading of the Gospel. This is accomplished through practical and achievable means in conformity with the goals and practices of SPSE and the Catholic Church.
The St. Paul Street Evangelization Urban Missionary Program offers Catholics the opportunity to become a paid full time missionary with SPSE. Our missionary program is not limited to college-age students. Any Catholic 18 years and older can apply.
An Urban Missionary:
- Is an intentional, Catholic disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Is rooted in prayer including daily Mass, the Rosary, and personal prayer time.
- Is actively engaged in local street evangelization with St. Paul Street Evangelization.
- Supports current street evangelization teams.
- Plants new St. Paul Street Evangelization teams.
- Assists with local SPSE small groups.
- Offers talks and workshops on evangelization.
- Trains Catholics to do the work of evangelization.
- Collaborates with local Catholic leaders and organizations.
- Promotes and advertises SPSE in order to advance the mission of the Catholic Church.
- Reads and studies Sacred Scripture, church documents, writings of the popes and saints, and the materials from the SPSE national office.
- Works closely with the national office and assists with national tasks as needed.
How do you become an Urban Missionary?
It is easy to become involved in St. Paul Street Evangelization; team members and team leaders are volunteers who evangelize with their local SPSE teams. Any active team member may be considered for full time work through the Urban Missionary Program. Evidence must be submitted that they have taken the time to discern their call to full time missionary work with their pastor or spiritual director. If you are interested in pursuing full time missionary work with SPSE the first step is to contact Adam Janke, Chief Operations Officer at St. Paul Evangelization Institute, by email (email@example.com) or phone/text (657-777-2963).
Who are the Urban Missionaries?
Christina Hiromoto – Orlando, Florida
- “As a lifelong Catholic, I grew up in Florida going to Mass every Sunday with my family and learning about the Gospel from an early age. I have enjoyed growing in my faith through college and continue to walk with the Lord every day. I graduated from UCF in the spring of 2019 and have answered the call to serve the Lord in Orlando as an urban missionary.”
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 904-708-9354
Randy Husaynu – Detroit, Michigan
- “In my own life, I have surrendered my will to our loving Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to save souls and make disciples. ‘It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me’. Galatians 2:20. After having been a Stock Broker for 25 years, and an Evangelization Coordinator since 2012, I have finally found my purpose in life that God created me for, which I discovered in the bible: ‘Go therefore and make disciples of all nations’. Matthew 28:19.”
- Team Leader – Royal Oak
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 248-515-6805
Mark Tamisiea – New York, New York
- “I’ve been a sinner for as long as I can remember, but God’s love is infinitely greater. After minor seminary here in NY I’ve served 12 years as a missionary in the U.S., Russia, Europe and Central Asia & looking East to complete seminary. My favorite is the Eternal Now, I hope to be there. If you want to experience this come to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass + or even better, come to the Divine Liturgy! ;-)… ☦”
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thousands of people become disciples, experience conversion, and find healing through the work of our volunteers and full time missionaries. Ashley and Leah are a mother and daughter who were going through a period of estrangement when our DC Urban Missionary & local evangelization team first met them at a busy bus stop. Leah had left home, was cohabitating with her boyfriend, and had become a heavy drug and alcohol user. The mother, anxiously worried and depressed, was no longer able to connect with people outside her own home. Our Missionary prayed with them and invited them to come to a Small Group her team was running for people who were seeking more from life. Ashley and Leah decided to come and enjoyed the fellowship & love they experienced in the intimate group each week.
Eventually, they were ready for even more. Leah decided to break away from her old patterns of sin to embrace Christianity. She gave up the drugs and alcohol, left her boyfriend & former crowd, and returned home to an overjoyed Mom. Soon the two began RCIA at the local parish to enter the Catholic Church. Ashley describes the transformation of their lives as a “miracle.”
The Urban Missionary Program of St. Paul Street Evangelization allows Catholics who love the Lord to devote their lives to helping people like Ashley and Leah. Our Missionaries see miracles every day and are overjoyed to be Jesus’ apostles in the 21st Century.
“I am impressed with the ways in which the work of our Urban Missionary is impacting our area. Little by little, I notice more evangelization teams popping up, and more parishes and communities receiving knowledge and training to become missionary disciples. What excites me the most is when I hear from other priests and laypeople who are just beginning to practice street evangelization. They tell the stories of the encounters they have had with people, and they are excited to discover that they really can do this!”
REV. CHRISTOPHER GOODWIN
Secretary to Apostolic Nuncio
“Meeting your Urban Missionary has helped me realize how to evangelize on a more personal level – and how simple evangelization can be. The day I met her, I knew I wanted her to meet my friends and was finally able to arrange a workshop! She did a fabulous job and gave us the confidence to talk about our faith in a loving and personal way. I was able to witness her in action with her team and the love of Christ pours out of her onto everyone she comes across. Evangelization is not about knowing all the answers, it is about loving the person in front of you with the heart of Christ and your Urban Missionary does that and teaches others how to do that in a transforming way.”
Wife & Homeschooling Mom of Four